HomeSportsTennisNovak Djokovic news LIVE: Tennis star now a French Open doubt

Novak Djokovic news LIVE: Tennis star now a French Open doubt

Fans appear to boo Andy Murray at Australian Open

The Australian Open continues without Novak Djokovic after the saga over the men’s defending champion’s visa was finally brought to an end on Sunday evening.

After Australia’s immigration minister had used his discretionary power to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time last week, the decision was upheld by three judges at an appeal, who determined that the world No 1’s presence “may be counterproductive to efforts at vaccination by others.” Djokovic was deported on Sunday and returned home to his native Belgrade, where he “will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this”.

However, the Serbian is already facing further problems over his vaccination status, with France’s sports minister announcing that athletes would not be exempt from the country’s Covid pass, throwing Djokovic’s participation at Roland Garros into doubt. “The vaccination pass has been adopted. As soon as the law is promulgated, it will become mandatory to enter public buildings already subject to the health pass (stadium, theatre or lounge) for all spectators, practitioners, French or foreign professionals,” Roxana Maracineanu wrote on Twitter.

Follow all the latest news, reaction and updates as the Australian Open continues.

1642517616

Australian Open 2022: Kyrgios excited for Medvedev clash

The Australian had just returned from Covid-19 isolation but was full of tricks during his straight sets win at a wild John Cain Arena.

“It’s going to be a hell of an experience for me,” Kyrgios, currently ranked at 115 in the world, said. “He’s probably ‘the’ best player in the world at the moment. I’m excited for it.

“That was always something I wanted to prove to people that someone like me could do, win those matches. I’m not going to go into it with a lot of expectation. I’m going to go out there, have some fun, play my game. I have a pretty set-in-stone game plan of what I need to do to have success.

“He’s a hard worker, ticks all the boxes. To play it on John Cain (Arena) would be – I’m just going to call it the Kyrgios Court – would be fun.”

(Getty Images)

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 14:53

1642516656

Australian Open 2022: Medvedev laments ‘impossible’ schedule

Number one men’s seed Daniil Medvedev lashed out at the “impossible” tennis calendar after winning his first round match at the Australian Open.

Medvedev is the favourite to win back-to-back slams following his US Open victory in September and the deportation of Novak Djokovic.

But the Russian criticised the lack of rest he got at the end of last season before having to return for the ATP Cup earlier this month.

“It’s impossible, and yes, it’s definitely not enough,” the Russian told reporters after his 6-1 6-4 7-6(3) win over Henri Laaksonen.

“If you want to represent your country every year in Davis Cup and if you are every year in the finals, well, it becomes impossible.

“So you’ll have to sacrifice something. Sometimes your body will tell you what you have to sacrifice, sometimes you will have to decide.

“And it’s not easy decisions because many people will be against your decisions.”

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 14:37

1642515816

Australian Open 2022: Watson riding ‘positive wave’

Heather Watson rode her “positive wave” to a first grand slam victory for a year at the Australian Open earlier this morning.

The British number two broke a seven-match losing streak dating back to August in Adelaide last week and said after a 6-3 5-7 6-2 victory over Mayar Sherif that she had rediscovered her love for the game during a pre-season training block in Florida

“I’m really happy to get through this one because the last couple years have not been good for me,” Watson said.

“I had a great pre-season in Florida and I found my love and joy for tennis and competing again. I feel like the last couple years I felt really anxious before matches, just really not even wanting to go out there, but trying to get over it because I know in sport there’s always ups and downs.

“Today I was excited to play. I couldn’t wait to get out on the court.”

Watson will now get another crack at 29th seed Tamara Zidansek, who she lost narrowly to in Adelaide.

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 14:23

1642514976

Australian Open 2022: Murray targets ‘deep run’ in Melbourne

Andy Murray is looking to progress to the later stages of the Australian Open after advancing past Nikoloz Basilashvili in five sets.

Murray takes on Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel in the next round and says making it into the second week of the slam is a target.

“I will hopefully keep improving. There are things in my game I can definitely do better,” Murray said after his victory earlier today.

“I would love to have a deep run here, if possible. It is something I have not had in one of the slams since I came back from injury and it is something that is motivating me.

“I have played some of my best tennis here over the years. I feel comfortable here and I hope I can do it here this tournament.”

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 14:09

1642514054

Australian Open 2022: Day three order of play

• Martina Trevisan vs Paulo Badosa (8)
  • Ash Barty (1) vs Lucia Bronzetti
  • Yannick Hanfmann vs Rafa Nadal (6)
  • Madison Brengle vs Naomi Osaka (13)
  • Alexander Zverev (3) vs John Millman
  • Harmony Tan vs Elina Svitolina (15)
  • Soonwoo Kwon vs Denis Shapovalov (14)
  • Barbara Kerjcikova (4) vs Xiyu Wang
  • Qinwnen Zheng vs Maria Sakkari (5)
  • Gael Monfils (17) vs Alexander Bublik

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 13:54

1642513456

Australian Open 2022: When is Raducanu’s next match?

After progressing to the second round thanks to her victory over Sloane Stephens, Raducanu will play again in the Australian Open on Thursday 20 January.

Raducanu will face world No 99 Danka Kovinic and although the order of play for day four of the tournament has yet to be announced, it will almost certainly be earlier in the morning that the 11am GMT start time she had today for her match against Stephens.

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 13:44

1642512750

Australian Open 2022: Tsitsipas through in straight sets

Stefanos Tsitsipas has wrapped up the day’s play on the Rod Laver Arena with a straight sets victory over Mikael Ymer.

Tsitsipas, the men’s fourth seed, cruised to a 6-2 6-3 6-4 victory to advance to the second round, where he will play Argentine Sebastian Baez.

The 23-year-old has reached the Australian Open semi-finals on two previous occasions.

(AFP via Getty Images)

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 13:32

1642512301

Australian Open 2022: Raducanu battles to victory

Emma Raducanu shone at a grand slam again as she marked her Australian Open debut with victory in the battle of the US Open champions against Sloane Stephens.

The 19-year-old has found wins hard to come by since her extraordinary success in New York in September but, back on the big stage, Raducanu came up with the right formula again to claim a 6-0 2-6 6-1 victory.

She lost just four points in a startling first set that admittedly was woeful from Stephens before the American hit her stride in the second.

That set up a first ever decider at this level for Raducanu, and she could not have handled it any better, keeping her cool and striking the ball with confidence to clinch victory after an hour and 45 minutes.

Jamie Braidwood18 January 2022 13:25

1642511314

Australian Open 2022: Raducanu to face Kovinic next

Raducanu will face Montenegro’s Danka Kovinic in the second round which should, at least on paper, be a much easier test.

The 27-year-old is ranked 99th in the world and has never reached the third round of a grand slam in her career.

Tom Kershaw18 January 2022 13:08

1642510791

Australian Open 2022: Raducanu reflects on victory

“I just want to thank everyone for coming out and staying so late, I really appreciate it! I thought it was a high-quality match, with lots of great rallies. I’m really happy to come through against a great champion like Sloane.”

“It was a tough match up for a first round, her athleticism is really up there – I was working really hard to win points. I’m just so happy to come through it. In the third set, I was really feeling it – the scoreline didn’t really reflect the game.”

Tom Kershaw18 January 2022 12:59