29.4 C
New York
HomeSportsFormula 1F1 news LIVE: Red Bull reveal ‘harsh’ Michael Masi verdict and 2022...

F1 news LIVE: Red Bull reveal ‘harsh’ Michael Masi verdict and 2022 testing

Lewis Hamilton Breaks Months Of Silence

The 2022 Formula 1 season is upon us with pre-season testing set to begin this week at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya following each team’s car launch. The acrimony of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has dissipated with the FIA confirming a number of changes.

While Lewis Hamilton is officially back after linking up with George Russell at Mercedes’ launch for their new W13 car. And the seven-time world champion has spoken candidly about his decision to commit to the sport once again after the controversial role of Michael Masi, who has been replaced as race director, following the chaotic 2021 F1 season finale which led to Max Verstappen clinching a maiden world title with Red Bull. Testing begins in Barcelona before switching to Bahrain as we begin to learn which teams have the early advantage as F1 prepares for a new era following the introduction of drastic new rules.

Reflecting on his decision to return, Hamilton said: “I never ever said I was going to stop. I love doing what I do, and it is such a privilege working with this large group of people and you feel like you are part of a family. There is nothing quite like it. It was a difficult time for me and a time where I needed to take a step back and focus on the present. I had my family all around me and creating great memories. I eventually got to a point where I decided I would be attacking again coming into another season and working with Toto and George.” Follow all the latest Formula One news and updates below:

1645527656

Alpine F1: Esteban Ocon and Fernando Alonso unveil new A522 car

(AFP via Getty Images)

(AFP via Getty Images)

(AFP via Getty Images)

(AFP via Getty Images)

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 11:00

1645527114

F1 launches: Which 2022 car is your favourite?

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 10:51

1645525256

Lewis Hamilton reveals what George Russell can learn ahead of debut season with Mercedes

Russell left Williams at the end of the last season to join Hamilton at Mercedes and replace Valtteri Bottas as the second seat for Toto Wolff. Seven-time champion Hamilton said he’d use his experience of knowing what it’s like to be on a team with a champion, his rookie season saw him line-up next to Fernando Alonso, to help Russell.

“I am excited to engage with him, to collaborate with him,” Hamilton said per GP Fans. “Hopefully, our styles aren’t too dissimilar. I know what it is like for him being in a position up against a world champion and I know the pressures that come with it, the expectations and the external feeling of what it is like.

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 10:20

1645524739

AlphaTauri confirm plans for Barcelona testing

AlphaTauri have become the latest team to confirm their running schedule for the three-day testing in Barcelona.

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 10:12

1645523456

Otmar Szafnauer wants to be ‘the glue’ to holds Alpine together

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer wants to be “the glue” that holds his new team together in his first F1 season in charge.

Szafnauer is optimistic about leading Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon, who sensationally won in Hungary last year.

“I’ll bring my style of collaborative leadership,” the Romanian-American said. “I heard Luca [de Meo, CEO of Renault Group] mention the glue that keeps us all together is very important and I do feel that the glue that keeps us all together pointing in the right direction is key to this.

“I try to bring a really strong glue, so my style of leadership, collaborativeness and trustfulness within the organisation.

“I’ve had the… I was going to say pleasure but I should say displeasure of racing against these formidable competitors.

“I remember too well when they beat us in Hungary and didn’t put a foot wrong, for that I congratulate them that they are such great competitors and group of racers.

“I look forward to joining them and helping them not just beat the Aston Martins of this world but everybody else on track.”

Esteban Ocon and Spanish Fernando Alonso unveil Alpine F1’s new A522

(AFP via Getty Images)

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:50

1645522856

Toto Wolff underlines importance of Ferrari competing in 2022 F1 season

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has underlined the importance of Ferrari being “competitive” in 2022 despite affecting Mercedes’ chances of winning titles.

Wolff said: “The passion of everyone at Ferrari, and also for the Tifosi in Italy, it’s important to see the car is competitive.

“So I hope there will be a few teams this year able to win races and fighting hard on track.”

Ferrari drivers Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz posing at the launch of the Ferrari F1-75

(FERRARI PRESS OFFICE/AFP via Get)

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:40

1645522256

Toto Wolff maintains Ferrari ‘needs to be in the mix’ in 2022 F1 season

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff insists Ferrari “needs to be in the mix” in the 2022 F1 title race because “the greatest name” in Formula 1.

“As a fan, I love Ferrari,” said the Austrian. “They are the greatest name in Formula 1, and it cannot be Ferrari is not competing for race victories and titles.

“Winning championships is something different. Things have to come together to achieve that.

“But for all of us, fans of the sport, Ferrari needs to be in the mix, and we’ve missed them in the last few years.”

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:30

1645521656

George Russell tipped to beat Lewis Hamilton ‘from the start’

But the British driver has confirmed he is taking part and while at the Mercedes 2022 launch the pair looked close, Schumacher is convinced there is an intrateam battle taking place.

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:20

1645521056

Max Verstappen ‘deserved’ to win F1 title, says former teammate Daniel Ricciardo

The Australian said Verstappen’s rival Lewis Hamilton also earned the right to lift the trophy but that he thought it was unfair for people to say Verstappen didn’t deserve it.

The talk is based around the controversial circumstances of the last race of the season. Some cars were allowed to unlap themselves and others not which saw Verstappen overtake Hamilton on the final lap. The action has seen race director Michael Masi lose his job.

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:10

1645520456

Valtteri Bottas ‘cannot see’ George Russell beating Lewis Hamilton

“I don’t see anyone else beating Lewis in the near future in the same machinery,” he told SunSport. “George will adjust well because he has been with Mercedes for some years.

“But beating Lewis is not easy. I have experienced that… Every driver has form that is a little bit up and down, but his baseline for performance is just so high,” he explained.

Jack Rathborn22 February 2022 09:00