19.4 C
New York
HomeSportsFormula 1F1 news LIVE: Lewis Hamilton returns at Mercedes car launch

F1 news LIVE: Lewis Hamilton returns at Mercedes car launch

Lewis Hamilton Breaks Months Of Silence

Lewis Hamilton and George Russell have launched Mercedes’ new car for the 2022 Formula 1 season just a day after it was confirmed Michael Masi would be replaced as race director following the controversy that marred the climax of 2021.

Masi has paid the price for his decision making at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with Hamilton speaking for the first time on the events in December which cost him an eighth world title. “I never ever said I was going to stop,” he said on Friday. “I love doing what I do, and it is such a privilege working with this large group of people and you feel like you are part of a family. There is nothing quite like it.”

Reflecting on the moments after the Yas Marina race, Hamilton added: “It was a difficult time for me and a time where I needed to take a step back and focus on the present. “I had my family all around me and creating great memories. I eventually got to a point where I decided I would be attacking again coming into another season and working with Toto and George.” Follow all the latest Formula One news and updates below:

1645185632

Mercedes launch W13 with Lewis Hamilton and George Russell ahead of 2022 F1 season

Lewis Hamilton is back for Mercedes in 2022

(PA)

Lewis Hamilton is back for Mercedes in 2022

(PA)

Lewis Hamilton is back for Mercedes in 2022

(PA)

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 12:00

1645185332

F1 2022: Latest odds

Most pole positions in 2022

Drivers Championship decided on the final race of the season

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 11:55

1645184928

F1 2022: Latest odds

2022 Drivers Championship winner

Constructors Championship winner

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 11:48

1645183554

Mercedes F1 W13: Key differences for new car

The F1 W13 has been designed to F1‘s radical new rules aimed at improving wheel-to-wheel racing and features the cleaner, swept-back aerodynamics and bigger 18-inch wheels of the new era.

The car, which will be driven by Hamilton and new team mate George Russell who moves up from Williams, also has the return of Mercedes’ traditional silver livery after the team ran a black colour scheme in a stand against racism for the last two seasons.

Mercedes have dominated the last rules era which began with the introduction of the turbo-hybrid power units in 2014.

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 11:25

1645182796

Toto Wolff urges caution over new Mercedes car W13

Mercedes on Friday took the wraps off their 2022 Formula One challenger, but Toto Wolff was only cautiously optimistic that Lewis Hamilton can bounce back to claim a record-breaking eighth world title.

“The hopes are, first of all, that we have a competitive car,” said team boss Toto Wolff.

“We don’t know whether we’re even in the hunt for another title.

“My hope is that the car goes fast and that Lewis and George are happy with how it drives and that would be a good starting point.”

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 11:13

1645181454

Alpha Tauri launch new AT03 car for 2022 F1 season

Alpha Tauri has launched its new AT03 Formula 1 car ahead of the 2022 campaign.

The Italian squad is the sister team of Red Bull is was rebranded from 2020 onwards in order to promote the fashion brand operated by the same parent company.

The team finished seventh in the constructors’ standings in the 2021 season and is hoping that its revamped challenger can continue the strong progress the team has made across the past couple of seasons.

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 10:50

1645180554

Lewis Hamilton ready to attack new Formula 1 season after confirming Mercedes return

Lewis Hamilton said he is ready to attack the new Formula One season on his return to the public spotlight.

Hamilton, 37, was speaking for the first time since he lost the world championship in controversial circumstances to Max Verstappen in Abu Dhabi on 12 December.

The seven-time world champion was disillusioned following the debacle in the desert and, at one stage, it was unclear if he would return to the grid.

“I never ever said I was going to stop,” said Hamilton at Mercedes’ launch. “I love doing what I do, and it is such a privilege working with this large group of people and you feel like you are part of a family. There is nothing quite like it.

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 10:35

1645179654

Lewis Hamilton reflects on ‘difficult time’ in first comments since Abu Dhabi controversy

Hamilton was beaten to the title on the final lap of the season after race director Michael Masi allowed some but not all cars to unlap themselves under a late safety car to set up a dramatic shootout for the championship.

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 10:20

1645178754

‘ I was never going to stop’: Lewis Hamilton confirms F1 return for 2022 season

Hamilton appeared alongside new teammate George Russell as Mercedes unveiled their 2022 car at Silverstone on Friday, ending months of uncertainty surrounding the 37-year-old’s future in the sport.

Jack Rathborn18 February 2022 10:05