29.8 C
New York
HomeSportsFootballBarcelona transfer news: Issues with French forward far from over

Barcelona transfer news: Issues with French forward far from over

Last week, FC Barcelona suffered a setback in their attempt to get Ousmane Dembele to put pen to paper on a new contract. Despite their earlier confidence on the deal, the offer they put on the table during a meeting last Wednesday was rejected. However, manager Xavi Hernandez remains confident that the negotiations are progressing.

The talks are not said to have broken down, despite alleged tensions between the club and Dembele’s agent last week. Now that the winter transfer window is officially open, the Frenchman will have a clearer picture of what kind of offers are available from other interested clubs.

They turned down Barcelona’s most recent offer due to a disagreement on the financial side of the deal, and Dembele’s camp is now waiting to see if a more lucrative offer is available. Despite the club’s financial troubles, Xavi says that the deal they have offered is a good one. “The offer is very good. I don’t have a say on the economic side, but Barcelona’s offer is an excellent one,” he said during a press conference on Saturday ahead of their La Liga match against Real Mallorca.